Tue, 19 Jun 2018
Growing up, I spent much of my time behind the screen typing commands into IBM PCs - to solve the puzzles that were the great games made by Sierra Online.
I collected what I could in order to make sure my kids could have the same experience I did, but could not have predicted that the games would all be freely available as Abandonware that could be played via DOSBox.
In any case, I wanted to write down the titles that I remember being enamored with, for posterity. Almost all the games I loved were designed for the SCI game engine. Here is the complete list of SCI titles.
- Police Quest 1-3
- Hero's Quest/Quest for Glory 1-2
- Space Quest 1-4 (4 had amazing graphics for its time!)
- King's Quest 1-4
- Leisure Suit Larry 1
- Colonel's Bequest
- Codename: ICEMAN
- Hoyle's Book of Games
- Manhunter: New York
- Helicopter Simulator
Some other non-Sierra games I liked were:
- Test Drive 1-2 by Accolade
- Hardball 2 by Accolade
- Grand Prix Circuit by Accolade
- Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?
- Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego?
- California Games by Epyx
- Street Sports Basketball by Epyx
- World Class Leaderboard Golf
- Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing
Some games I had but didn't like a lot, but want to write down:
- Might and Magic, Book One by New World Computing