I do not know if it is ok to publish the secret salad preparation techniques from the California Vipassana Center of North Fork but I can't keep them a secret any longer. The benefit from this salad is so great!
These preparation techniques will give you enough salad for a 4 day period as you cycle ingredients in and out of circulation and will feed 1-2 people eating a salad each day.
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- Wash the leaves and shake off the excess water. Cut off the bottom stem portion. Either tear or cut into 1 inch (or less) pieces. The lettuce will keep between 4-5 days in the refridgerator.
- 6 carrots
- Wash and scrub the carrots. Peel the skin with a vegetable peeler. Put carrots in a food processor and grate them. These should last about 1 week.
- 3 beets
- Wash and scrub the beets. Peel the skin with a vegetable peeler. Put beets in a food processor and grate them. These should last about 1 week or more.
- 2 medium tomatoes
- Wash the tomatoes. Core the stem from each tomato. Cut into half inch pieces. Tomatoes will be the first to go bad after about 4 days.
- 2 cucumbers
- Wash and peel each cucumber. Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise and then slice those halves into quarters. Cut the quarters into half inch pieces. They will last in the refridgerator about 5 days.
- 2 spoonfuls of chickpeas
- Preparing chickpeas is time-consuming due to the cooking time. You can either cook them from scratch or if you are pressed for time, use canned beans from a trusted company like Eden Foods.
- A handful of sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- A handful of raisins
Without a doubt, the most important ingredient in the Vipassana Salad is the dressing. The "authentic" Sunflower Soy (also known as "Sun Soy") dressing calls for for 1 cup soy sauce, for which I substitute 1/2 cup tamari and 1/2 cup Bragg's Liquid Aminos.
Combine all ingredients, save 1 cup of water, into a blender and blend until smooth. Do not overblend to prevent a marshmallowy consistancy. Pour blended liquid into a storage container and whisk the last cup of water to the mixture. Allow it to thicken in the refigerator.
- 4 potatoes, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery
- 3 carrots
- Handful of chopped greens
- 1 Sweet potato, finely diced
- 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 dash of cayenne
- 2 tsp dried herbs
Place in 3 quarts of water. Simmer for 20 minutes. Strain the liquid and discard the veggies.